Wheelock Volunteer Fire Department now has a converted military truck to protect its community from fire and related hazards thanks to the DoD Firefighter Property Program administered by Texas A&M Forest Service. The program provides excess military equipment to fire departments and emergency service providers and is managed nationally by USDA Forest Service.
Monday’s regular Commissioners’ Court session took an unusual turn as commissioners heard arguments for two possible routes for the historically significant El Camino Real, the “Royal” Spanish road that opened up the southwest to pioneer exploration and expansion.
As we celebrate this year, the 50th anniversary of the Robertson County Fair, we should reflect on its history and how this organization was shaped into the fair that we have come to know today. Several years ago Calvert and Hearne had separate livestock shows in their own towns. Around 1965 an idea was brought about for there to be a single Robertson County Junior Livestock Show and Auction in which all members of the county could participate.
The time is approaching and the fun begins with the Robertson County Fair and Livestock Show. The Queen Coronation, which is Saturday, March 21 at 6:00 pm and with a dance that will follow l starting at 9:00 pm featuring The Texas Twisters and to take place out at the Robertson County Fairgrounds, at the Firemen’s Hall, which kicks off the week of fun and hard work for the kids that enter into the fair.
The Hearne City Council met in special session on Wednesday, March 11 to canvas votes, possible sit an appointed council member as well as appoint a new Mayor Pro-Tem. The gallery as well as the council members realized as the time passed the schedule appointed time of 1:30 p.m., that two of the council had no intentions of showing up.
This past Saturday February 21 a group of local supporters of the Go Red Heart Disease Awareness happen to be taking their Third Annual Walk. Jackie Lewis started this walk in honor of her mother, Lois Marie Lewis, who had heart failure with numerous heart by-pass surgeries and kidney failure and pasted away April 15, 2008 and Jackie herself has had three by-pass surgeries January 3, 2008.
• Letters to the Editor will be considered for publication only if they are signed and are accompanied with a phone number and mailing address, which will not be published. Letters may be edited for length or offensive material. Anonymous letters will not be published or read, just simply discarded.
• The deadline for news, calendar listings, photographs, retail and classified advertisements is Monday at noon. Call for advertising rates, sizes and layout requirements or email your advertising information to: email@example.com
• Robertson County News is published weekly by Robertson County Publishing, LP postage paid at Hearne, Texas ; USPS 238860.
• Any erroneous reflection upon the character, standing or reputation of any person, firm, or corporation appearing in the Robertson County News will be corrected if brought to our attention.
• We welcome and encourage submissions regarding your club, church or organization. Please send your news by mail to the address above or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Robertson County News and www.robconews.com, as well as any reasonable derivative of these names, are trademarks of Robertson County Publishing, LP and use of these trademarks without the express written consent of Robertson County Publishing, LP is strictly prohibited. The entire contents of each issue of the Robertson County News and www.robconews.com are protected under the Federal Copyright Act. Reproduction of any portion of any issue will not be permitted without the express permission of Jackson County Publishing, LP.